Thursday, January 26, 2006

Doumukai or Doumukai Not. There is no "try."


Here is a picture from the Doumukai Dojo. It's mostly just to give a little life to this blog. Some eyecandy. We checked out Iida Sensei's Doumukai Dojo. He teaches at the Ootsu Jr. High and also at the Navy base. A contact (and hopefully new friend) recommended it from http://www.aikiweb.com .
Iida Sensei definitely knows his stuff. He related a story about a terrible accident that left him paralyzed from the neck down. Finally after seven months in the hospital he was able to move again. He's missing a kidney and part of his stomach (he showed us his scars). He said he's physically very weak and that it's helped his aikido out a lot. In some of the more dynamic demonstrations I could see his power over his own center and the center of his "uke."
In the words of one of his students ("...3 years of training, 5 times a week..."), who seemed to know everything, "Iida Sensei is the best." I asked him if he's trained with any other sensei and he said he's visited Honbu Dojo twice and during travels visited a couple of other dojo. But really, he's only trained with Iida Sensei. Hmmmm... He also explained that Iida used to be part of Aikikai but got tired of the politics and quit the organization and went out on his own. He also said Hattori Sensei (who also uses the gymnasium at the base) used to be Iida's student and then left to train (and pay for rank) at Honbu only to return and badmouth Iida. Like I said, he seemed to know everything and was happy to share.
Sensei came by a couple of times to demonstrate the "unbendable arm" and also let me do a little kokyuho. He would first do a very stiff demonstration and say "American Aikido" and then do it naturally and say, "See? So soft!" I wasn't sure what to say. My original sensei, who has never been to Japan to train, never felt stiff and choppy.
Iida Sensei seemed like jolly old soul. He smiled and laughed a lot and was very amiable. He spent several moments with us to talk. Doing Aikido is definitely part of his being. I think his class is best for someone that starts with him and can finish with him. It seems like it would be difficult to just jump in and start training. Many of his students first meet him on base and then continue during the other nights at the jr. high.
Noriko really liked the pace of his class because it was slow and relaxed. A new person started last night and he was treated very tenderly.
I'll put Doumakai on my list and move on. We still have two or three dojo to check out.

2 Comments:

Blogger kronprinz_al said...

I was stationed in Japan from1999 through 2002 and I trained with Iida Sensei for about a year. I had other duties which sometimes took away as well, but I really enjoyed Aikido, for awhile there my buddy Axley and I were training as often as our schedules allowed. Iida Sensei was afilliated with the Aikikai at that time and hadnt broken away to do his Doumukai style which really Iida Sensei always stressed no power even when he was with the Aikikai. He had on base lessons a couple times a week and we could do off base, sometimes at another dojo with other instructors. One of Iida Sensei students or guests was Nakasawa Sensei who taught Yoshinkan Aikido on base and is the founder of Aikisambo but he would also train in Master Iida's classes from time to time too. My buddy and I took some Yoshinkan lessons with him in addition to Iida Sensei's classes for a short time, but primarily trained when we did with Iida Sensei. They were both , still are, very great instructors. I wish I would have devoted more time to Aikido while I lived in Japan, but the Navy can keep a person busy. I havent trained since I left Japan, I was rather spoiled training in Yokosuka, I swear the majority of the people in class were a lot of black belts and I remember Iida Sensei wanted the white belts to practice with the black belts. I met a lot of really good people. I wish I could remember the name of the one black belt that worked on base in the barracks, his Aikido was excellent in my opinion, I see, him in pictures on facebook with Iida Sensei. I may train again in the future, contemplating, Irecently found a group closer to home. Just have to make the leap and start over. Allen R. Fond du Lac, Wisconsin

10:31 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I still remember the feeling I would sense before he would walk into a room. His healing struggles in life seemed to empower the embodiment of aikido - healing light and universal love and harmony. T
Y
Master Takeshi Iida Sensei, was a mirror of the heart of aikido.

'Master of Friendship
Trainer for all levels of the heart
Healer of worlds
Messenger of peace.

A home away from home.
A heart within his own.
A baby feels love and falls asleep.
At peace and in AIKi
'
Takeshi Iida Sensei,
Domou arigatou gozaimasu from Us
all of U.S., our hearts to yours
a golden chain of peace wiggling with easy between the 5 levels of the heart of Aiki.

5:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home