Sunday, February 19, 2006

The long and the sho-to of it.


I've only had three classes in three weeks, but at least it's been consistent. I had Noriko query Sensei a little further. The sho-to (short wooden sword) is used to perfrom the technique shomenuchi ikkyo. I still need to get a regular length bokken (or bok-to) to practice a couple of cuts. J-Pop gave me one that mysteriously showed up in his garage, but it has a lot of character (meaning it's warped and squiggly). I wonder if that means there's not much of a budo past in the family. The point of practicing is to learn to make a perfectly straight cut. It's kind of hard to do that swinging a three foot long "S." After our last class, Noriko said, "I like ikkyo. Omote. Ura." That she can even use these words in a sentence is nice. What a wonderful wife!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home