Friday, April 28, 2006

Aikido Update

Noriko and I rented some mat time the other day and practiced a little bit. She is finally getting more confident in her forward rolls. You can see on her face that she hates to admit that she can do it a little bit better so it's fun to watch her practice.

Our new schedule looks like they're trying to add class twice a week so on occasion, we'll be going to Numata Sensei's dojo. We've been once and my regular sensei (Aoki-san) was teaching the class.

There is supposed to a surprise party this Sunday after our kyu tests to congratulate Aoki-sensei for his being rewarded godan. He's still a pretty young guy (late thirtyish) so that's a pretty good accomplishment. So my other sensei, Nishimura-sensei sent out emails inviting us to the surprise party. It sounds fun, but it comes with a price tag of about $60.00. It makes me wonder about this particular organization. It seems like there are frequent get togethers that come with a price tag. I think there are group training events about twice a year. These include two-three days of training and then some dinners and hotspring visits in the evenings. A hotel or ryokan is also reserved for the group. Needless to say, it's not free. I've looked in the requirements for upper testing, and later on, attendance to these group trainings becomes required. What if you are an outstanding aikido student (not talking about me) but you are dirt poor? It makes me wonder about the wisdom of staying with this group.

Anyway, that's about it. My kyu test is Sunday. Wish me luck! If I pass, I'll officially belong to a particular path of an aikido tradition.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Noriko on your ukemi!
Falling with any kind of control is harder then one may think.

And Jory you'll do great on your kyu test. Just remember to breath! And Rirakkusu shite!

Troy

9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home