Monday, March 13, 2006

Tools of the Trade

From top to bottom: Tokuji's kendo bag, sho-to, and shinai, J-Pop
s bok-to that is now a sho-to, and my purchased bok-to and sho-to.

After the last two classes, I've fared a little better after atogeiko. Either I'm getting more conditioned or I'm controlling my attacks and ukemi a little better. Maybe both. But I still wake up sore and tight the next day! I decided to practice my Japanese a little with Aoki Sensei. He wanted to know about the time I first saw aikido. I also showed him my gifts from Uncle Tokuji and the sho-to that I made from J-Pop's bok-to. Also, he said my aikido was "smooth." If that's a good thing, "Thanks Mike Sensei!" If that's a bad thing, "Sorry Mike Sensei for doing it wrong!" I also can't seem to get my dogi pants to stay securely on. I told Aoki Sensei that I've lost a little weight since I came to Japan, so I have a tough time keeping my pants up. We also had a visitor from Numata's dojo: Akaboshi. His name means red star. Cool name.
I feel like, sometimes, it's important to do what i call "capturing the opponent's mind." That's just what I've seen from more talented people doing jiyuwaza and randori. I can't do it. It could be a finger flick to their eyes or a kick to their groin. Anything that makes them react and create an opening. Some people actually strike at their opponent. If they react or block then an opening is created. If they do nothing then they get hit. I'm still waiting to see this done in my current dojo. It is definitely something that is safer to do at a higher level. Hopefully, I will see it later.
Note: I looked up the brand of the shinai that Tokuji-sama gave me. A new one is over $200.00!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is your training progressing at a faster rate over there?

JH

11:23 PM  
Blogger Jory-san said...

uhh... well.. i'm not sure. i'm getting thrown down a lot more.

6:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home