Saturday, March 04, 2006

Don't Cry for Me Nishimura!

Afterhours school hallway leading to the dojo

Today started the first day of our cramming session. First, I got lost trying to find the alternate dojo. Some kendo room in a local jr. high. I persevered and made it. I did have to stop and ask a local, though- such a great way to test language progress.
Aoki Sensei wasn't there so Nishimura Sensei was leading class. He has the nicest and kindest face. That's the last thing you see during atogeiko right as he throws your @$$ to the ground- twenty to thirty times as fast as you can get up again. You can always count on atogeiko ("after training") to push you to your limits. Everyone gets the same treatment appropriate to their level. Whether you are head student or a beginner, you are exhausted afterwards. He sort of talks to himself or to you ( I don't know for sure since I don't know what he's saying) while you get thrown about. He "helps" you practice breakfalls and things like that you might not do on your own during class. Like, as you do a roll he might hold onto your hand forcing you into a breakfall. Hey is my pinky broken? I don't think so. It's always kinda bent. Arigatou Nishimura-san!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home