Friday, April 28, 2006

Iaido Update

I've gone to three iaido classes now. After sending back my first hakama, I know have one that fits. I just have to learn how to tie it while I'm using it and then how to fold it when I'm done. There's also an obi (that holds my sword in place) that I have to figure out how to tie.

The first time I watched a class, all the sempai/sensei had such mean looks on their faces. But the ones that have helped me have been 100% kind.

So far, the only thing that has improved is some slight control over my blade. After my first few swings, the tip would bounce around as I tried to stabilize it. Now, at least, it stops with just a little bit of uncontrolled movement. A perfectly controlled cut is a beautiful thing to see.

Until I can move on to learning kata, I have to become better at my overhead cut and walking while cutting. I'm supposed to glide as I step but my feet are sticky and catch on the wooden floor. Instead of a graceful slide I feel like an anti-locking brake system has kicked in. I've also been working on drawing the sword and putting it back in its scabbard. It's not a bad balance of things to work on. When my arms get tired, I can practice the other.

One way, it takes about an hour to get to the dojo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home