Monday, May 15, 2006

I Hit Doshu

Aikido Kenkyukai International Enbukai


A couple of weeks ago, my aikido group (AKI) had a little get together. About 200 of us gathered in the ~150 tatami dojo at the Hachimangu Dojo in Kamakura. The purpose of the enbukai was to exhibit all the various dojo. I didn't count but I think we had over 25 dojo in attendance. Groups came from the USA, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, and Chile (I think that's why we have 'international' in our name).

Due to some kind of mixup in our instructions, most people showed up in a suit and tie (myself included). This means, I walked/jogged from the house to the train station carrying my weapons bag, an umbrella, and a backpack. That wasn't so bad. The part that killed me was the sportcoat and tie. By the time I arrived (ten minutes early- I was worried I'd miss the train), my sleeves were soaking wet with sweat. It was like I stuck both arms into a toilet to retrieve a dropped _______ .

It turned out that the suits weren't needed until after our day of training and then only if one would be attending the reception/party/dinner. To begin with, I didn't think that it made too much sense. Wear a suit, just to immediately change into our training uniforms. But like the good gaijin I am, I follow instructions (when given to me) to the "T." It also turned out that I didn't need the umbrella (it quit raining) or my weapons bag (We didn't use them. Again, I was following instructions!).

Our first training session was pretty normal. It was a bit overcrowded. Some people try to make excuses for a crowded dojo by saying that it helps develop awareness. If you're not careful, you will either be slammed or slam someone else into a wall, the hardwood floor, or somebody else. This class was about 90 minutes long and by the end of it, my legs could feel the workout.

We took a break and they announced that Doshu was there. Without looking it up, Doshu is a word that means "keeper of the way." One of the Aikido founder's sons was 1st Doshu. His son is 2nd Doshu. That was our special guest. He's the highest person in the Aikido world (at least in the Aikikai scheme of things which is almost everybody). I don't even know if he holds rank.

He taught the second class. He bowed the class in and it was augmented with the banging of an 8' drum (taiko). It shook the entire building. He went over much of the same material from our first class and my legs were burning by the end of it. Between techniques, during his explanations, I kept my point at "centerfield." This maximized my closeness to where he stood and did his demonstrations.

The high point of this class was getting paired up with a guy that felt like this was his first class. He was very choppy and rough. During yokomen uchi iriminage he was completely lost. To my "boasting" benefit, this was helpful. Suddenly, during one of the executions where I was the attacker, Doshu appeared. He had me attack him, in order to show the technique to the other guy. It was kind of a static demonstration, so I wasn't able to feel his "aiki" very well. However, he was VERY stout. I guess growing up as the keeper of a budo will do that to you. The important thing is that I can now brag to my fellow Aiki-Okies that I hit (or attempted to, rather) Doshu.

It's actually not that hard of a thing to be able to do. Anybody can go to the Aikido HQ in Tokyo for the 6 am class which is led by Doshu. I'm sure that at certain points he comes around and offers pointers. It's just a lot more convenient for him to come to you.

After Doshu's class we took a break and then the exhibition started. We lined up on each side of the dojo, which left one end for the Doshu (and entourage) and the other end empty for us to come onto and off of the mat. Each dojo had up to two minutes to demonstrate. Some just paired up and did techniques. Others took ukemi from their sensei. I was really nervous when it came our turn to go up. I don't exactly like being in the open in front of a large crowd.

AKI's leader, Takeda Shihan, performed his demonstration right before the break for lunch. Despite the fact that he is my "leader," I had never seen him, before. His technique was awesome. His technique is the highest level of aikido I have ever seen.

I got to bring home one souvenir from the day. During shomenuchi nikkyo, as I was transitioning from having just put my uke on his stomach and moving into the pin, somebody put their knee down on my big toe. The pain was so sharp and intense that I had to close my eyes and bite my lip so I wouldn't reel over and pass out. The fact that I was holding onto my uke's arm is probably the only reason I didn't fall over. The smash crushed the half of my toenail that is closest to the foot. It's black and I'm just waiting for it to fall off.




Noriko showed up later and took some photos with her cellphone camera.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jory-san said...

Well, it turned out that my group of 4 (from our actual dojo) went up with the dojo that is organizationally above us. I was relieved to not be up there, alone. We just paired up and did techniques with our partner.

6:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home